In 2005, the Government of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago (GORTT), in its pursuit to accelerate the physical development of the country, established several new State Enterprises called Special Purpose State Enterprises, each with a specific mandate complementary to the achievement of the 2020 Vision for developed nation status.
Traditionally, implementation of the Public Sector Investment Programme (PSIP) directly by the various Ministries faced serious challenges because of skill shortages and established bureaucratic procedures. Over the past years, these problems have been exacerbated by the Government’s accelerated infrastructural development in pursuit of its long term vision. In order to increase the rate of implementation of an expanded PSIP programme, wholly owned Special Purpose State Enterprises were established by the Government to undertake development in the areas of educational facilities, infrastructure, utilities and community facilities (sports, community centres, markets, etc.)
Past experience has shown that a well-managed State Enterprise can perform efficiently and effectively with the necessary checks and balances for Manage the design and construction of all such projects.
Establishment of the Company
Rural Development Company of Trinidad and Tobago Limited (RDC) was registered on 2nd May 2005 with the mandate to expedite the implementation of projects to provide physical infrastructure, utilities and social facilities in the rural areas to improve the quality of life of the residents in those communities by the following:
- Preparation of master development plans for rural communities.
- Identify and develop the necessary infrastructure, utilities and social/community facilities.
- Manage the design and construction of all such projects.
RDC commenced operations in late 2005 under Ministry of Planning and Development until January 2007 when the Company was transferred to the Ministry of Local Government. In September 2013, RDC was transferred to the Ministry of Works and Infrastructure.
RDC is located at Caroni Limited Central Office, Factory Road, Brechin Castle, Couva.
The Company was established primarily to provide Project Management Services in the development and implementation of projects to improve the infrastructure, utilities and community facilities in rural communities of Trinidad. The services were expanded to include Contract Administration and Supervision of Construction of the contracts awarded.
The policy directives chartered for the Company in 2005 by the first Board of Directors remain the same at the present time.
Vision and Mission
Based on the mandate from Government, RDC formulated a vision and mission statements in 2005 which would guide the company in the years ahead. This has been revised taking into consideration suggestions from Staff and Directors.
To establish Rural Development Company of Trinidad and Tobago Limited as an efficient, effective and responsible developer of infrastructure, utilities and social facilities to the rural communities of Trinidad.
Rural Development Company of Trinidad and Tobago Limited is dedicated to being a leader in the provision of essential infrastructure and social facilities for an improved quality of life to the rural communities through the efficient and expeditious planning, implementation and completion of projects in compliance with health, safety and environmental standards and international best practice.
We achieve this through value, transparency and quality services as the company’s foundation upon which the Board of Directors, Management, staff, communities and other stakeholders will continue to build.
The company is committed to adhering to the following core principles in the conduct of its business:
- To provide essential and modern infrastructure and social facilities to encourage social and economic activities (agriculture, fishing, manufacturing services) in the respective communities.
- To ensure the widest participation and deepen the consultative process with all stakeholders in the selection and execution of development projects throughout the various communities.
- To promote social and economic sustainable development as a platform for long term development and reduction in poverty.
- To engage and develop small and medium sized contractors from rural communities in executing projects to assist in employment opportunities in these communities.
- To preserve the culture, the environment and heritage of the rural communities as development projects are executed.
- To create a safe and satisfying work environment for employees through a process of engagement, assessment and rewards for excellent performance
To promote and maintain Good Governance in the operations of the Company in accordance established rules and regulations